October 6, 2009

Baby Cake

I've been assigned to make the cake for my friend's upcoming baby shower.  (for the same friend who will be getting the hand-knit baby blanket)  I have been dreaming up ideas to make this cake awesome.  I know she's having a girl and I know the theme of her shower is ladybugs.  There will be lots of pink stuff with white polka-dots in the decorations and there was talk of getting some ladybug mylar balloons.  I was also told that light green will be an accent color.

I searched through her registry at Baby's R Us and found a picture of her nursery ensemble.  I'm guessing this was the inspiration for the shower.  Check out the rug from the collection:


I would love to incorporate that ladybug into her cake as a surprise.  Maybe I could make one out of gumpaste and use it for a cake topper?  I also think the flower would make for a cute accent.

I just ordered some new food colorings, edible ink pens, and cardboard circles from Sugar Craft to help me put this cake together.  Right now, I'm thinking of making it three tiers, each with a different flavor cake, and making the middle tier twice the height as the bottom and top tiers.

While I was shopping online for cake supplies, I also came across impression mats.  I ordered ones to help me make dots and diamonds.  I figured this would allow me make some properly-spaced polka-dots and the diamonds would help make the cake ultra-girly.  I'm really excited to try them out.





I'm going to start baking and freezing the cakes soon.  At the request of the mom-to-be, they will be white, chocolate and yellow cakes.  I'm thinking I might play around with the fillings because I've never been to creative with combinations.  My usual is standard buttercream or chocolate buttercream.  I might try oreo cream filling or Kahlua cream cheese frosting.  I'm going to have to experiment with different flavors and see what tastes best with each cake.

What are your favorite cake flavor/filling combinations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say about this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails