January 18, 2011

This might be my favorite cake

For my nephew's 5th birthday party, my sister and I made him a cake.  Gavin wanted Cat in the Hat, so we delivered.  The cake turned out so great!  This was the first cake we've ever decorated with an airbrush set.  I felt like I was on Cake Boss.  :-)




Using the airbrush was easy.  The colors went on fairly even and, for the red stripes anyway, spraying the color was more effective than mixing red food coloring into fondant and cutting out the stripes.  We used ribbon to "tape off" the stripes and then outlined them with a black food color marker.

Gavin's party was at the Olympic Fun Center in Hermitage, PA.  It's similar to a Chuck E. Cheese because it has arcade games and a play area, but it also has a laser tag area, a roller rink and party rooms.  The party rooms must have been painted in the late 80s or early 90s because they are all bright yellow, orange and green.  It's a little wild as far as decor goes, but the colors made a fun, colorful backdrop for the cake.




The cake was very tall.  I think it was over two feet high.  It was also very heavy.  Cake weighs a lot!




And, what would a birthday party post be without a picture of the birthday boy?


 Gavin & Pokey

Happy Birthday, Buddy!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is amazing!! I'm super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I love cake decorating- it's so fun to create something beautiful & delicious :-) I have been branching out more and trying new techniques...the airbrush is beautiful! I just found your blog and I am glad I did- I am following now & looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh that cake is pure awesome!! Must have been incredibly difficult to cut though?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. please tell me how did you do the cat in the hat face? Is that fondant, or rice crispy treats covered in fondant, or something else please please share.. I am doing this cake and have no clue how to do that part..

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say about this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails