January 9, 2011

A special birthday cake

My husband's birthday is a few days before Christmas.  Because of the holidays and the last minute shopping, wrapping and cookie baking, it's the unfortunate truth the his birthday isn't always celebrated to the extent it should be (I'm a bad wife, I know!)  I wanted to turn that around this year.  He deserved a proper birthday and I was set on delivering.

For starters, I let him pick the restaurant for a birthday dinner.  He chose a high-recommended steak house on Pittsburgh's North Shore, so I made the reservation.  Dinner was amazing!  We both loved our meals (filet mignon and crab cakes) and the restaurant had a great atmosphere.

For another part of his birthday celebration, I decided to make him a cake.  I always feel bad that I make other people cakes, but have yet to make a fun birthday cake for him.  I asked him what he wanted (something simple--white cake, coconut filling, buttercream, no fondant and Pitt) and got to work.  Here is the end result:


I thought the Pitt logo in the school colors would be perfect.  He really liked how the cake looked, but I think he liked how it tasted even better.
If you want to try the coconut cream cheese filling, here's my recipe.  This has quickly become a favorite for cakes I'm making for family and friends.  It is so good!


Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting/Filling

Ingredients

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until fluffy. 
  2. Add the confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream. 
  3. Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring and vanilla. 
  4. Beating until mixture is smooth. 
  5. Add additional confectioners' sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yay a Pitt cake! I love it, can you come and make one for my birthday at the end of this month?!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say about this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails